These salty and sweet peanut butter caramel squares are perfect for the whole family – I promise neither you or your kids will be able to get enough of them!
- Prep time: 35 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour
- Portion size: 36 pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) pretzel crumbs, (about 3-1/2 oz/100 g pretzel sticks)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) roasted salted peanuts
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whipping cream, (35%)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) roasted salted peanuts
In bowl, combine pretzel crumbs with sugar; mix in butter until combined. Press into parchment paper–lined 8-inch (2 L) square cake pan. Bake in 350ºF (180ºC) oven until just beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with peanuts. Let cool on rack.
Caramel: Meanwhile, in saucepan, bring brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, sugar and cream to boil over high heat; boil, stirring constantly, until digital thermometer registers firm-ball stage of 245°F (118°C), about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
Pour caramel over crust. Sprinkle with peanuts. Let cool for 20 minutes. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours. Cut into squares. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 weeks.)
Recipe via Canadian Living0